February 29, 2012

What Do You Do with All Your Extra Seedlings that You Don't Have Room For?

The tomato plants have germinated at much higher rates than expected. Hmmm. What to do. What to do. Do I give half of them away? Or do I plant them all out and change my planting schedule for the year? I had wanted to experiment with planting greens and herbs like my grandma who always grows a nice big patch to wrap eggrolls, spring rolls, and banh xeo with. Actually I had a gigantic growing schedule planned which you can see at the bottom of the page. But I do enjoy growing plants that produce huge amounts of produce that are fairly carefree, because let's face it lettuces, greens, broccoli, etc. require more weeding and more watering when it starts to warm quickly. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy weeding but I enjoy harvesting vegetables more.

The new planting list:
  • tomato
  • leek
  • sweet and hot pepper
  • eggplant
  • summer squash
  • zucchini
  • okra
  • bush green bean
  • pole green bean
  • cucumber
  • luffa
  • bitter melon
  • cushaw winter squash
  • lettuce
  • basil and dill amongst the eggplant and squash
The other cool weather crops will just have to be planted in the fall, perhaps September or October.

No comments: