March 24, 2013

Planting Bok Choy from the Supermarket Grocery Store

Month old bok choy base planted after using stems and leaves. 
A slug was caught munching on this newly replanted bok choy base, leaves are starting to form.
This cold weather is driving me crazy. I was promised shorter winters when I moved south. It's March and the temperature is still in the 20's (-6 Celsius). On top of it, the wet cold weather is thwarting the spring tilling of the soil, so we can't even prepare the ground for planting.

In an effort to stave off cabin fever, I've been taking bok choy from the grocery store and after using the stems and leaves, the bottoms are then stuck in water or soil to get them to grow again. Since it's an experiment, the supermarket plants have been braving the outside elements and they actually seem to be growing. I caught a slug munching on a plant last night so I went ahead and sprinkled some crushed eggshells around the bok choy's pot. Needless to say, I squealed like a little girl when I reached down and touched it before registering what it was. A very soft squeal since it was late at night.

The larger bok choy is about a month older and first spent a week in water with leaves forming quickly, but no roots so I stuck it in a pot outside. The other one was just set directly into the dirt a couple of weeks ago but a slug was caught nibbling on it, so who knows if it would have formed leaves earlier without slug involvement. Once the weather warms the bok choy should really take off.

No comments: