August 10, 2020

Harvest Monday, 8/10/20

 I've started the process of clearing out the garden. Squash bugs and harlequin bugs have arrived in droves, decimating the once pretty free range greens. I managed to clear out 4 beds on Friday with another 4 beds to go.

Just a few large tomato types left, these mainly go on sandwiches. I've started the process of removing the cages and plants.
Black Cherry has finally started sweetening up, they've been strangely sourish which I suppose could be from a cooler than usual early summer. Really, all the cherries have been on the sour end, except for Sungold and Juliet.
I made some more zucchini hash. Shredded zucchini was mixed with shredded cheddar and chopped turkey lunch meat. Then a handful of the mixture was dredged in egg, then dredged in panko bread crumbs, and fried in a little olive oil. So light and crispy, these were served with macaroni and cheese. They also heat up perfectly in an air fryer, if you want to make a big batch of them.

I picked quite a few snap beans and little squashes while clearing out those beds, but didn't get any pictures. And the soil beneath the sweet potato vines look like it's heaving, hopefully lots of big sweet potatoes are hiding under there.

4 comments:

SmartAlex said...

That zucchini hash looks like a good idea. I think I'll try that

Belinda Robinson said...

I really like the marbled-looking tomatoes, lovely

Phuong said...

Hi Alex,
The zucchini hash is surprisingly lovely. Much lighter than potato hash and so still crispy.

Phuong said...

Hi Belinda,
The red green marbled tomatoes are Black Zebra. They're flavorful, juicy, and disease resistant. This was a late night post that I forgot about, so sorry for the late reply.