February 25, 2018

This Year's Vegetable Growing List

I've decided to try and grow corn this year, it's been a long time so we'll see how that pans out.

I tend to go back and forth when it comes to varieties, my choices may change up until the time the seeds get sown. This is especially true when it comes to tomato and pepper varieties, so this list is in no way finalized.

*new varieties

Peppers:
Jalapeno Gigantia*, Padron*, Ajvarski*, Red Marconi*, Figitelli Sicilia*, Melrose*, Feher Ozon*, Boldog Hungarian*, Odessa Market*, Corno di Toro, Pablano, Jimmy Nardello, Shishito, Sweet Antigua, Corno Rosso, and Carmagnola Rosso

Tomatoes:
Be My Baby gene pool cherry*, Sweet Aperitif (F1) cherry*, Indigo Blueberries cherry*, Black Vernissage cherry*, Reisentraube cherry*, Large Red cherry, Sun Gold cherry, Brandywine, Black Brandywine, Yellow Brandywine, Dark Brandywine, Prudens Purple, Black Krim, Black from Tula, Kellogg's Breakfast, Cosmonaut Volkov, Celebrity (F1), Peron, Coustralee, Pink Berkley Tie Dye, Goldie, Jubilee, Granny Cantrell German Red, Ananas Noire, Big Zebra, Big Rainbow, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Orange Icicle*, Mariannas Peace*, Peach Blow Sutton*, Cherokee Green*, Anna Russian*, Juane de Flamme*, and Green Zebra*

Corn:
Buhl (early)*, Stowell's Evergreen (middle)*, and Maiz Marado/Kulli corn (late)*

Leek:
American Flag, and Asian leek/garlic chives.

Onion:
Cipolle di Tropea*, Cipollini Borettana*, Australian Brown, and Bronze d'Amposta

Shallot:
Matador* (F1), and Zebrune

6 comments:

Jane Strong said...

Shishito is a great pepper. You can roast or saute the whole thing without taking the placenta out. Just nip off the top. Also sometimes you get a real hot one, Russian roulette style.

I'm trying Berkeley Tie Dye, too. Let me know how you like the Black Vernissage. It came free from Baker Creek, but the reviews were so bad, I didn't plant it. Sungold, I always have, but it gets some sort of disease which is common with tomatoes here whereby the lower leaves get spots, then turn brown and die, and works upward until the whole stem is dead, the fruits are OK.

Phuong said...

Hi Jane,
I saw the bad reviews for Black Vernissage as well, but since much of gardening depends on climate I thought to give it a try. Sungold cracks too much for us, so I'm on the hunt for new cherries, there's a couple from Fedco Seeds I've been eyeing as well.

It'll just be a couple weeks till I get to start tomatoes, so exciting.

Margaret said...

It certainly is hard to narrow down varieties, especially when it comes to peppers and tomatoes. I see a few that I'm also growing on your list and it will be interesting to see how they do in your respective gardens. I actually did grow Black Vernissage last year (just like Jane, it was a Baker Creek freebee) and am dropping it - the flavour just wasn't there and I also found it too grainy for my taste. But everyone's taste is different, as is their climate/soil, so I think it's still worth giving it a go, just in case. Makes me think of when I grew Padron peppers. They were so hot that I found them difficult to cook with but Michelle finds them to be rather mild in her garden.

Phuong said...

Hi Margaret,
Peppers seem to be affected by temperature as well, the hotter it gets the spicier the hot peppers seem to get. Shishito was pretty hot the first time I grew it, but we're giving it a try again.

It's almost time to start tomatoes, so exciting.

Michelle said...

I grew Ajvarski last year and it was fabulous so it's definitely on my grow list this year. It will be interesting to see how it does it your climate. And Zebrune shallot has been a good one for me too, although I'm taking a break from growing most alliums this year because of disease problems. Actually, Zebrune was the least affected by downy mildew last year so perhaps I'll grow it again for 2018/19.

Phuong said...

Hi Michelle,
I'm excited about trying a few new peppers this year. I think our soil was too rich last year, so even though the plants were huge there weren't a lot of peppers. Zebrune is actually an old packet of seeds, but hopefully it'll beat the odds and germinate for me.

The rust on your alliums has been insane, it must be a virulent strain. We get rust on our bean plants, but it's usually nearer to the end of summer.