June 2, 2013

Tomato Plants are Setting Fruit and the Eggplants and Peppers are Blossoming

I have been ill for the last two weeks with a terrible summer cold, so the garden has been neglected except for a couple instances of watering. Since feeling a little better, I spent Saturday and Sunday catching up on weeding. Even with a couple big rainstorms last week the vegetable plants are doing well, many of them blossoming or setting fruit.
The Paul Robeson tomato plant has set fruit!
The pepper plants are beginning to blossom. The only ones that haven't formed any flowers are the Cayenne.
The pepper blossoms belong to this Hungarian Hot Wax plant. Notice the sprouted mushrooms at the base.
Even the eggplants are blossoming. Amazing!
The purple stems and flowers belong to this Bangladeshi Long eggplant. Can you see the pulled up mushrooms?
Look, tiny fuzzy zucchinis on the Black Beauty zucchini plant. 
The Black Beauty zucchini plant isn't very large but it is forming lots of blossoms.
It is only the beginning of June and almost all the tomato plants have blossomed and most have already set fruit! That means I might be eating tomatoes by the end of June. I already know what I'm going to do with those first few fruits.

The eggplants and peppers are blossoming as well, which is amazing to me because the seeds weren't even started until March this year. That means it has only been 2 months since the seeds sprouted. The leaves on the Bangladeshi Long eggplant are 8 inches long, 10 inches counting the stem. Since we had a giant shade tree cut down in the backyard last year, the garden now gets about 12 hours of full sun a day. I am thinking the amount of sunshine is making a huge difference in the growth of the plants, plus the soil was highly amended and mulched this year.

I still haven't finished planting the garden yet. The lettuce starts need to planted in the ground. The winter squash, melons, and patty pan squash all need to be seeded. Hopefully, I can get all that done on Tuesday.

2 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

Everything is looking really good and healthy! I hope you are feeling much better. It's such a busy time of the year to get sick!

Phuong said...

Thank you, I'm feeling much better.

I really need to finish planting, plus some of the tomato and pepper plants still need supports. So much to do and it's already June!