July 13, 2012

Rain Showers in the Vegetable Garden

A nice heavy rain knocked down a couple of the Philippine Lady Finger okra plants

Stewart's Zeebest okra plant

Costoluto Genovese tomato almost ready to be plucked

The five thicker okra pods on the left belong to Philippine Lady Finger and the three on the right belong to Stewart's Zeebest. Usually I let the Stewart's pods grow to about 9 inches in length but these were picked small because the plants they were growing on are still tiny.

Swiss chard
We had a nice really heavy rain on Monday and the plants were just soaking it up. The okra pods has grown twice as fast since the downpour. A few of the Philippine Lady finger okra plants were knocked down but they are just fine after being righted.

The tomatoes are finally starting to look less brown and burned with many young fruits burgeoning and growing tips starting to swell again.

I haven't been very creative with the Swiss chard, this batch was sauteed in butter which I admit was a little bitter. The thick succulent leaves makes me want to wrap it around a meat filling. Hmmm.

3 comments:

gardenglut said...

Not being familiar with okra, will your okra be ok? Or will the 'knock down' damage them?

Perhaps some staking is required? I should talk! I am a terrible staker. I always leave it late until there is a crisis. I had whole productive branches of my long cayenne break off last summer for want of a good staking.

gardenglut said...

Do you get fruit fly where you are?

Cristy said...

I'm going to have a link to your blog on Monday's Harvest Monday, because of your advise to me about my okra. I am still interested in your opinion about the taste of your okra. I really do like that you can pick it bigger than the kind I am growing. (I am growing Clemson Spineless.)