French bread or rice to serve.
- Heat a large pot at medium add olive oil and chicken breasts turning occasionally till chicken is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add chopped onion & garlic, sugar, spices, and fish sauce.
- Once chicken is cooked through and spices are fragrant, about 5 minutes add water, chopped potato and sweet potato, add more water if needed to cover potatoes, cover the pot and bring to a boil at high heat.
- Lower temperature and simmer at medium-low heat till potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes. (Please see note below.)
- Turn off the heat and let cool a bit before adding coconut milk and milk. Adjust seasonings, I usually add more sugar or salt, and curry powder.
- Serve with hot crusty French bread to dip in the soup, or serve over rice.