- Heat a large pot at medium add olive oil and chicken breasts turning occasionally till chicken is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Remove lightly browned chicken from heat and chop into 1-inch chunks.
- Return chicken to pot and continue to cook at medium heat while stirring add chopped onion & garlic, sugar, spices, and fish sauce.
- Once chicken is cooked through and spices are fragrant, about 5 minutes add water, chopped potato and sweet potato, add more water if needed to cover potatoes, cover the pot and bring to a boil at high heat.
- Lower temperature and simmer at medium-low heat till potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let cool a bit before adding coconut milk and milk. Adjust seasonings, I usually add more sugar and curry powder.
- Serve with hot crusty French bread to dip in the soup, or serve over rice.
April 21, 2012
Vietnamese Coconut Milk & Curry Chicken Soup Recipe
Sweet and spicy chicken soup with thick chunks of potato and sweet potato. A luscious creamy soup served with slices of French bread.
A warm soothing dish with complex spiced overtones. The coconut milk and sweet potatoes provide sweet creamy base notes, while the potatoes and chicken lend an earthy stick in your ribs type meal. Wonderful with warm soft French bread with a crisp crust.
Makes: 8 to 10 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken breasts, skin removed & rinsed
1/2 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tablespoons yellow curry
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce
4 cups water
2 large potatoes, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, chopped
13 oz can coconut milk
1 cup milk
Note: Sweet potatoes cook faster than regular russet potatoes, so you can either cook the russets for five minutes before adding the sweet potatoes or you may wish to cut the sweet potatoes into bigger chunks than the russets.